Thursday, June 5, 2008

Let the kid fall already...

Last night I was reading this post about letting boys be boys and I had to comment. We've already visited the emergency room two times and have had our fair share of bumps, bruises, and blood. Just today we were at the park for a parks and rec play day and I was surprised at how many moms were trying to corral my boys, to keep them away from getting hurt. I was a bit on the quiet side today, as Ezra had already taken a spill on his bike, and let a couple moms direct Justus away from an area that he might have gotten hurt (although he was playing in the same space a little bit before and there was really no danger). Ezra ended up falling again and actually got a good size drop of blood on his shorts. If it weren't for his dramatics when he does fall, it would probably be a good testimony to these moms that kids can and should get hurt once in a while. I will now be investing in one of these to keep in the diaper bag/stroller, as I keep having to borrow band aids when we are out.

4 comments:

faithsalutes said...

my brothers and i, like most children from our generation, had almost no supervision during play time...

we grew up to be well adjusted and wise risk taking adults.

let them PLAY for crying out LOUD.

you are a great mom. i want to be a mom like you.

Stef said...

I loved this post, Sara. I am not a believer of "shadowing" my children when we're out. I watch them closely, but not right up by them. Especially at parks. I've always kept myself at a safe distance and let them "do their thing". I've been criticized for this though and it is hurtful/annoying. Mostly because the person who is criticizing is usually saying that you're not being a good parent.

Rachel is extremely independent. She hates to be followed and helped and I had to learn, months ago, that she knows her limitations. She will not get to a steep edge and then dumbly step off. She also likes to scare me and see my funny (mommy like) reaction of gasping and running frantically, only to find out that she's fine.
Bumps and bruises are part of life - better they get them now and get used to it, than to be big pansies later on. :)

Brittany Martin said...

I love that God made a world with sharp edges, rocks, and dirt. If our children were meant to be handled like fine china the world would have been made out of pillows.

Mrs. Schwager said...

It's all about the Boo Boo Juice kids wound cleaner. I think it is the only one we have found that doesn't burn the wound. Although my dramatic one screams hysterically anyway.